Alice in Wonderland fans have now been marking the 150th anniversary for the fateful motorboat journey that saw the genesis associated with kids’ story. But why do therefore numerous see adult themes within the tale, asks Sophie Robehmed.
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is, using one degree at the very least, the storyline of a lady who disappears down a bunny opening up to a place that is fantastic of strange activities.
Charles Dodgson, a mathematician at Christ Church, Oxford, first told their surreal tale to your daughters of dean Henry Liddell because they rowed down the Thames.
After the sailing trip, 10-year-old Alice Liddell badgered Dodgson to write it straight straight down and Alice in Wonderland – underneath the pseudonym Lewis Carroll – came to be. The heroine follows a speaking white bunny, satisfies the Queen of Hearts and performs croquet using flamingos as mallets.
Because the 1960s there is a trend for visitors to spot a drug that is underlying in the guide.
Alice in tradition
- Film-maker Tim Burton reprised the story this year movie, Alice in Wonderland, featuring Helena Bonham-Carter since the Red Queen (recreated on handbag, pictured)
- Matt Groening’s TV show Futurama includes character that is occasional Hatter Bot – frequently seen with tea-set
- Character Neo in movie The Matrix told to “follow the white bunny” – certainly one of a amount of allusions to Carroll’s tales
- Jefferson Airplane’s 1967 record record album Surrealistic Pillow features White Rabbit – a track about cigarette smoking caterpillars, chess-men and mushrooms
- US pop music artist John Wesley’s photos dropping Alice and Humpty Dumpty in 1963 influenced by Alice tales
The Cheshire Cat vanishes making only the grin that is enigmatic. Alice beverages potions and consumes items of mushroom to improve her physical state. The caterpillar smokes a water pipe that is elaborate. Read More